Thursday, April 24, 2014

couch to 5k.

so after a long winter of hibernation (and nights in with craft beer and heavy food), i've decided to make exercising a real priority. a year ago, my roommate and her boyfriend and i did insanity most nights after work and i was in pretty good shape. when i'm exercising a lot, i'm way more conscious about what i put into my body, since i'm more in touch with the work it takes to burn it off. that went on hold, however, when we all moved out and i moved away from my old gym. trying on cocktail dresses for a wedding i'm going to this weekend really brought things back home...


inspired by my friend lauren over at the windy cardigan, i've downloaded the couch to 5k app and went on my first run tonight. i am admittedly not a runner. i get bored easily. i always need a magazine on the elliptical and really specific, fast-paced music. 

this is where i'm looking for assistance. i don't see myself becoming a marathon runner but i would like to make running part of my routine (and to reincorporate yoga back into my weeks). and i am a novice. i'm not sure what the right shoes are (the ones above are ones i thought were cute from tj maxx), when to stretch, how to stretch, what foods to eat before and after, etc. any advice would be greatly appreciated as i continue on my journey to win back my old body and to get healthy!


how do you stay healthy? 
xx.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! I'm in the middle of Couch to 5K too (for close to the eleventh time, hah) so this is gonna be long.

    First, I'd suggest going to a local running store and getting fitted for shoes. I went once when I started running, bought the sneakers they recommended, and have, since then, used the advice and suggestions they gave me to purchase new ones (usually on Amazon because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the local shop!). But remember to take their advice with a grain of salt - they're salespeople, after all, and you might be looking for something different than what they're suggesting.

    As for stretching, I ONLY stretch afterwards. I've been told that you only want to stretch warm muscles, never cold ones. I usually just do some light leg and calf stretches - runnersworld.com has some great resources on stretching to target specific muscles and prevent/treat common injuries. You might also want to consider getting a foam roller - everyone on the Internet LOVES foam rolling, but I'm not that into it so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

    I almost always run on a nearly-empty stomach but that's a very personal preference. I have a really sensitive stomach and it does NOT tolerate digestion and exercise at the same time! I usually try to have eaten at least 2 hours before I run or I'll have a spoonful of peanut butter if I'm really hungry.

    My only other advice is not to worry about what anyone recommends or tells you (even this comment). Meb won the Boston Marathon wearing Skechers.

    ReplyDelete